Established in 1810, CHEAH KONGSI is one of the oldest Hokkien clan associations in George Town, Penang. Its members have their ancestral origins from Sek Tong Seah in the Sam Tor District of the Hai Teng County at Cheang Chew Prefecture, Fujian Province, China.
The first person to carry the Cheah surname was SIN PEK and the 36th generation descendent was XIE AUN (320-385A.D.), who was the premier of the Eastern Jin Dynasty. He was also known as GUANG HUI SHENG WANG. During the Tang Dynasty, two generals known as Teoh Soon and Khaw Wan from the Sek Tong Seah sacrificed their lives to defend Hwa Yang gate to stop the rebel invasion. The Tang emperor posthumously bestowed them the honorific title “Hock Haw” which means prosperous marquis. The Cheah clans worship HOCK HAW KONG as their patron deity.
Cheah Beng Him also known as Cheah Tong San who was the progenitor moved to Sek Tong Seah during the 13th century. He had two sons named Toh Beng and Toh Kee. Members of the present Cheah Kongsi are descendants of Toh Beng and Toh Kee.
The Cheah clan’s emblem is “Bao Shu” (or “Precious Tree” in english). Formerly known as Cheah Si Hock Haw Kong Kongsi, it was registered as SEH TEK TONG CHEAH KONGSI on 1st April 2011.
This eclectic building where the ancestral building stands today was built in 1858 and completed in 1873. The beautiful clan temple, featuring Straits and post independence architecture, is built on a 1,500sq meter ground acquired in 1828, accessible via an archway from Lebuh Armenian and a new main entrance from Lebuh Pantai now. The temple’s main prayer hall houses three altars located at the upper floor— Tua Pek Kong, Tai Sai Yeah(left) and their patron deities Hock Haw Kong(right) and Beng Him Kong tablets(centre).
谢公司的祠堂建于1858而在1873完成。占地一千五百平方米的美丽宗祠体现了海峡殖民和独立后的建筑风格, 进入其内的有分别座落于本头公巷的拱形门楼及新的土库街正大门. 谢公司主庙祠堂一楼设有三个祭圣坛，供奉大伯公, 大使爷（左），谢氏族人守护神之福侯公(右)以及铭欣公祖灵牌位(中心)。